The History of Compass Community Credit Union
California State Employees No. 20 Credit Union was formed in January of 1951. The credit union was formed by a group of professors and employees of Humboldt State College. They formed the credit union with a desire to assist each other with reasonably priced loans and a good return on their savings.
The first credit union meetings were located in members’ homes, state offices, and other various public meeting places. The first official credit union office was located at 411 W. Wabash Avenue, just down the road from our current location.
On January 29, 1979 California State Employees No. 20 Credit Union merged with the Federal Employees of Humboldt County Credit Union. The credit union then adopted the name California State & Federal Employees No. 20 Credit Union.
In 2017, the credit union was granted a field of membership expansion to serve those who live, work, or worship in Humboldt, Del Norte, and Trinity counties. In 2018, the credit union changed its name to Compass Community Credit Union to better reflect this new field of membership.
While our name has changed over the years, the cooperative spirit remains an integral part of our philosophy today. We are here solely for the benefit of our members, to guide them to better banking products and services.
Ray F. Litchfield
– Chief Executive Officer
– Senior Vice President Corporate Strategy
– Vice President of Marketing and e-Commerce
Board of Directors
Patricia Sundberg, Board Chair
Jolene Thrash, Board Vice-Chair
Gary Harner, Secretary/Treasurer
Annalise von Borstel